Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ever evolving Halloween traditions

The Ever evolving Halloween traditions date back to 1973. Thats pretty much because that is the year I was born.
My trick or treat partner was Robin my sister. She came along just in time for halloween 1974. First she she dressed up as a infant.
The first Halloweens I remember were trick or treating around DeSoto Dr. Mum would walk us around the neighborhood while grandma passed out the goodies.
They use to give money out then, it was change, but still money was money. There was one house that gave out paper pads. I always liked that. I dont think anybody else go the thrill like I did. I love paper though.
Then there was that one Halloween when my Aunt decided to change it up a bit and we did the YMCA. What a boring boring boring Halloween night. No candy, no trick or treating and no paper. What a disappointment. I think Barbara realized quickly it was a big bust.
Then we moved to Appartments. Gone are the days we need parents to go with us. We trick or treated with a group of friends that year. One of use got the bright idea to stop at the office. They were giving full candy bars. SCORE.
Then we moved to Greenhills. What stuffy old farts they were. Dont you dare trick or treat at the same house or the old lady will call you on it. Funny thing is while these were more upscale homes, the ones back on DeSoto Dr couldnt care less. I do recall somebody having a set up in their yard and had a pumpkin that talked. We smart kids caught onto the camera that was not hidden so well and somebody was watching us from within the house and had some type of microphone in the pumpkin.
Then we moved to Florida and then we moved to SC.
Now luck would have it we moved twice on Halloween. So not much trick or treating was done.
Then came the new tradition after Bill and Michelle moved to SC. They picked us up and we drove to Spring Valley and trick or treated around there. Michelle would stay home and pass out the candy while Bill Bill Robin Kathryn Harry the dog and me went around the neighbor hood. We got the bright idea that if we went to the "rich" house they had better candy. That is a myth. Remember the old fart in Green hills. That is when your still a kid but yet grown up and the grouchie cheapscates ask if your to old for trick or treating. Come on how can you ever be told old to trick or treat. On the way home from Bills and Michelles we stop and get a free donut from Dunkin donuts, cause we were in full costume.
Oh those were the days. Bill and Michelle as a couple has long been history.
Kathryn started going with friends in Shablow. I sort of lost interest in it. Though I did dress up once for work (I wore a dress) Then we moved again. By then Kathryn was too old and nobody ever tricks or treats at the house we live in. Our street is way to busy.
Robin decided to have kids and they gotton into the halloween spirit. Now Halloween is at Robins house.
Lucas went trick or treating the first time last year. He went as a toddler. Very cute one I might add. He was scared of people in costumes.
This year he is really enjoying it. I had to explain to him about the whole trick or treat thing. I asked what do you say when you ring the door bell. He says DING DONG. No no no no I say and he says yes yes yes. We practiced at Grandmas house and finally he learned it.
His mom asked him what Santa claus says and he said Trick or Treat. LOVE IT!
Conner and Jason and I went to the not so scary Halloween Party at Disney world. Oh fun! Then they went to Boo at the Zoo and by the pictures were covered in foam and had loads of fun.
Tonight is the Fall fest in Lexington. Doesnt look like there is going to be a haunted house. I am so Disappointed. Last Year just conner and I went and Conner refused to go in it. Conner dressed up as Mario for two years straight. This year Lucas is Woody from Toy Story. I was a pirate. Last year I dressed up as Singapore. Not the city, but the cat. HA! I lost my parrot though :-(

No comments: